Monday, January 24, 2011

Only Love

©Darrell Wyatt

Maybe it's because I love to write, but I'm such a sucker for good, emotional written words.  And today's reading, although very short, was nothing if not good and full of emotion.  The thing that surprised me though, is the emotion that I felt.  In the times that I've read this chapter before, I found it to be somewhat depressing and sad.  This time, though, I felt completely the opposite.  I felt only love.

Now I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me.
For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.
And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life.
Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord.  (Moroni 1:1-4)

That's it.  That's the entire chapter.  In fact, most of the chapters in Moroni are just a few verses.  At first, I thought I would just combine quite a few of them into one post, but as I read, I discovered that in each of these very short chapters, there is an abundance of knowledge and instruction to be gleaned.

For example, in just these four short verses, I learned much about the character of Moroni.  He had believed that he would have been killed before he finished abridging the records of the Jaredites, yet he continued his abridgment.  Much like his father, Mormon, he could have spent his last days peacefully resting from his labors, but because he fully magnified his calling from the Lord, he did not.  I could just feel the kind of pleasant surprise that Moroni felt, that he was still alive to continue writing.

He also knew that he could still be killed at any moment because of his deep love for and belief in Jesus Christ, yet he plainly stated that he would never deny those beliefs.  He would rather stay in hiding for the remainder of his days.  What incredible bravery and integrity.

But the thing that struck me the most about Moroni in reading these verses, was his love for those whom he believed would eventually cause his death, the Lamanites.  He calls them his brethren.  He says that he will continue to write, as long as he is alive, that perhaps his words "may be of worth" to these Lamanites someday.  There is no bitterness or animosity towards this group of people who were literally making his life miserable.  Only love.  As it was with most of the Book of Mormon authors, it was Moroni's wish that someday these wicked Lamanites would turn to God in repentance.  He had hope that his record would, "in some future day", play a role in their conversion.

People always talk about Christlike or unconditional love, but it is rarely manifested so purely as it was in this chapter.  I am in awe of Moroni's capacity to fully love those people who caused him to fear daily for his life.  If I can take this lesson to heart and love with only one tenth of the love he showed, I would be a much better person.

1 comment:

  1. This chapter has always touched me too. I don't know that I would be so charitable. Looks like Moroni practiced what he preached. A rare thing.

    ReplyDelete