Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Called and Qualified

As I was watching the young priesthood holders administer the Sacrament on Sunday, I was overcome with the spirit.  We have very reverent young men in our ward, and it is evident that they understand and respect this sacred ordinance. 

In just a few days, my middle son will be ordained a deacon and will be standing alongside these fantastic young men, as a witness and holder of the Aaronic Priesthood.  My older son also holds the Aaronic Priesthood, but, as with everything we experience with him, it is different.  There is not really an understanding of the importance and responsibility that comes with holding the keys to the priesthood.  As such, there is usually at least a little bit (or a lot) of murmuring when he has to do something that he doesn't really feel like doing, like passing the Sacrament or collecting Fast Offerings.  With my younger son, however, I can already see that he is taking his new station very seriously.  He understands that he is growing in the gospel.  He knows the power that will be bestowed upon him, and he doesn't take it lightly.

From a mother's point of view, this is a very tender and emotional experience.  I have watched as my son's best friends pass the Sacrament for the first time.  I have seen a definite change in their countenances, as they perform one of the most sacred ordinances in the gospel.  They are growing up.  And it happens so very fast!



As my sons accept and perform this humble duty, as their mother, I also take on a new responsibility.  I must do all that is within my power to help them honor their priesthood callings. 

The priesthood is not really so much a gift as it is a commission to serve, a privilege to lift, and an opportunity to bless the lives of others. (Thomas S. Monson, April 2006 General Conference)

Although the ordinances performed in the church by worthy priesthood holders are of the utmost importance, they are far from the only responsibilities that come with this sacred calling.  It is my job, as the mother of two (and someday, three) worthy priesthood holders, to ensure that my boys are equipped with the knowledge and understanding they need to truly magnify their priesthood.  I cannot teach them how to perform the ordinances, but I can be a shining example of lifting and serving others.  I can provide them with the opportunities to, as President Monson said, "bless the lives of others".  My calling as a mother and wife goes hand in hand with the priesthood.  It is of equal, if not greater, importance in the sight of the Lord.  If I magnify my sacred calling, it will make it much easier for them to magnify theirs.

Miracles are everywhere to be found when priesthood callings are magnified.  When faith replaces doubt, when selfless service eliminates selfish striving, the power of God brings to pass his purposes. (Thomas S. Monson, April 2006 General Conference)

My responsibility is to teach all of my children of faith and service.  By doing so, I am preparing them to execute their adult responsibilities to the fullest and with honor.  Sometimes this seems like an insurmountable task, one that I get overwhelmed with at times.  But, to quote President Monson again, from that same conference talk, "whom God calls, God qualifies."  And I have been called of God to raise this next generation of priesthood holders.  With his grace and love, I will be qualified.

No comments:

Post a Comment